You know that installing a security system will help you reduce your home insurance premiums. But how extensive do you really need that system to be?
If you’re a tech or research junkie you’ve undoubtedly spent some time looking all of the different ADT options at http://www.securitychoice.com/. It’s good that you want your home to be as technologically advanced and protected as possible. At the same time, you don’t want a system that has the potential to rebel when the robot uprising happens. So how do you figure out what you need? How do you get the best system possible for what you can afford?
Consider Outside Influences
What are the crime statistics like in your area? Is your town particularly prone to home invasions? What are the statistics for your neighborhood? A great place to start this search is with the FBI. They keep records of the crime stats in each state.
Does your neighborhood have a neighborhood watch? According to America.gov, neighborhoods with watch programs have lower instances of crime than those that don’t—even in highly urban and crime ridden areas.
Do your neighbors know everybody and everything that happens on your block…and on the next block and within a three mile radius of their home? When neighbors are particularly nosey, it drives down crime rates because intruders will rarely go unnoticed or even un-confronted (it’s amazing what a friendly “who are you here to visit?” called from across the street or over a fence by a nosey neighbor can do to keep a potential burglar from breaking in)
Your Actual Home
- Is your home all on one level? Or do you have a few different levels to consider?
- Do you have lots of “privacy enhancements” on your property—thick trees or shrubs obstructing your home from others’ views?
- Are there lots of different points of entry for your home?
- How well is your home kept up?
- Do you have a gate or fence to keep people off of your property?
- Do you keep your cars parked in a garage or are they left in the driveway or on the street?
- Do you have lots of expensive looking things visible through your windows?
- Do you have pets? Are those pets dogs who go crazy whenever someone they don’t know comes near the house or your property?
- Do they look like they could (and would) rip Andre the Giant limb from limb even though you know they would never hurt a fly?
These are just some of the things that you have to consider when you are trying to figure out how much protection your home actually needs and how much you can afford to spend on it.
It’s easy to get caught up in the technology. It’s normal to want all of the bells and whistles and the toys associated with the super high tech, gadget-oriented systems. It’s also possible that you will actually need that stuff. Do the research first, though! After all, you don’t want to have to take out a second mortgage to keep your home safe if you can get by with something less expensive!