In uncertain economic times, we all want to be in the most prepared position possible. Today is not too late to start improving your financial future. Even if you have to trick yourself into doing it. For the 1000th published post on I’ve Paid For This Twice Already… , I’m sharing my favorite five mental money hacks all in one place.
- Every time you spend money frivolously, put the same amount towards your financial goal. Be it paying down debt, building an emergency fund or other savings, investing for the future – whatever it is, make it as important as those purchases you just “have to have”.
- Make it a habit. Move money every day at the same time. Maybe only a dollar. But for thirty days, every day move money from checking to savings, or to whatever the financial goal.
- Write it down. Writing has power. What is it you’re looking for? What do you want to accomplish? Make it concrete and put it in writing.
- Paint yourself a picture. Maybe you’re a visual person. Put a picture of your goal somewhere you can see it every day. Maybe it’s a zero debt balance. Maybe it is a spectacular retirement home. Maybe just a wad of cash. Whatever it is, picture it.
- Share your story with someone else. Talking about what you want and how to get there makes it real. Thinking through how to share it with others makes it a part of your life.
Thanks for being a part of my journey and I can’t wait until we go from the “debt elimination” phase to the “hoarding a wad of cash” phase!