In this increasingly consumer-driven world, how can we possibly expect to adopt and live a frugal lifestyle? By consulting the experts, of course! Gathered here are some of the most noted frugal minds of our time, here to guide you in understanding frugality, learning loads of frugal tips and tricks, and leading a more consciously frugal lifestyle, enjoying every minute of it.
Ready? First let’s listen to our top scholars today, the editor’s choice selections, covering a broad range of frugal topics:
- Glblguy is up first, teaching us What is Frugality and Are We Frugal? at Gather Little By Little. What is frugality? Find out from the expert and learn if he himself is frugal too.
- Melissa shows us what it means to be frugal but not cheap with Saving Money But Losing Touch at A Penny Closer. Knowing what *is* worth spending money on is an important aspect of true frugality.
- Sally explains the secrets to Luxury Buying on a Frugal Budget at A Penny Saved. Want to appear extravagant on a tiny budget? You need Sally’s help!
- Lynn Truong rejoices that Finally, Frugal Rules at Wise Bread. Fashionably frugal! That’s what we all want.
- Stephanie explores Aldi vs Sams – Who has the best price? at Stop the Ride!. Is the big warehouse a better buy than the small generic specialist? The answers are here!
- debtdieter analyzes Do You Get What You Pay For? at Debt Diet. Generics? Name brands? It’s all here!
- Grace explains from her own experience Adoption on the Cheap at GRACEful Retirement. She’s adopted several children and not spent a dime doing so. After the adopting is another story though .
- patti succeeds in Breaking The Wind at 2nd Grade Teacher. Make your house a haven and not a wind tunnel!
- Frugal Fanny teaches you how to teach children frugality with What You Learned from Your Allowance and Why Kids Still Need Allowance Today at Frugal Fanny’s Everyday Money Saving Tips. An allowance can be a powerful lesson-teaching tool.
Now let’s learn about what frugality is, and isn’t.
- Becoming frugal also involves examining your goals. Learn from Annette about Frugal Goal Setting at Frugal Journey.
- Costs are more than just dollars and cents. Free From Broke teaches us WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY COST? at Free From Broke.
- Super Saver counsels that If I Won’t Use It Frequently, I Don’t Buy It at My Wealth Builder. Things are meant to be used not protected.
- The Happy Rock reveals the secret to quality in The ‘Cost Per’ Calculation Can Save You Money at The Happy Rock. You must look at the per use cost to really know if the extra money is worth it!
- poetloverrebelspy explains Do Vacations Spoil Everyday Budgeters? at Less Than a Shoestring. If you are frugal at home, you’ll be frugal out too… I think!
- KRG teaches us Cheap vs. Frugality Lessons From “Friends” at FIL-AM WORDS. TV teaches powerful lessons.
- And what *isn’t* frugal? Golbguru is incredulous at MP3 Players For Nine Year Olds? Whatever Happened To Simple, Inexpensive Fun? at Money, Matter, and More Musings.
- Brip Blap examines I want it. You buy it. Any questions? at brip blap. Are you scared of this shirt? Brip Blap is.
Now that we understand frugality, let’s learn a multitude of tips to help us be more frugal, for everything from general tips on becoming more frugal
- 1 Day at a Time gives a frugal hack in $100 keeps me from spending at One Day at a Time. Big bills are psychologically harder to break.
- The Dough Roller explains How to Develop the Habit of Spending Less Than You Make at The Dough Roller. Tips to developing this important habit.
- savingadvice teaches Ten Free Things to Do at the Mall at SavingAdvice.com Blog. And they don’t involve shopping!
- Leanne NZ leads by examples with The Frugal Changes We Have Made at At the Good Life. Many small changes make big big changes.
- Boomie teaches that Credit Cards: Impressive Sign Of An Idiot. at The Wastrel Show. Credit cards are no longer a status symbol – find out why.
- Millionaire Mommy Next Door works some candy-converting magic in Bartering With The Great Pumpkin: Our daughter learns how to make a trade at Millionaire Mommy Next Door. A solution for too much candy!
- Tim Ramsey explores debt with What Are The 3 Biggest Challenges To Getting Out Of Debt? The Answer May Surprise You at My Debt Relief Blog. This will help you deal with the debt equation.
- Eric Stanley can teach you Six Steps to Building a Solid Financial Foundation at Personal Finance Blog Articles. A good solid foundation is a benchmark of frugality.
- Kris with her mad computer skills teaches Frugal Food Hacks: 10 Tricks to Simplifying Online Recipe Searches posted at Cheap Healthy Good. Find any recipe and save money cooking for yourself!
- TV Girl shares a frugal recipe with Recipe: TV Girl’s Mexican Rice Dish at TV Girl and Money. Tasty!
- Lynnae the hostess with the mostess shares Frugal Birthday Party Planning at beingfrugal.net. and you can too!
- Mandy is also a hostess with the mostess and shows you how to do Birthdays on the Cheap at Frugal Dollar.
- plonkee keeps a watchful eye with when is a sale not a sale? at plonkee money. A few cents (or pence) off does not a sale make!
- Chuck shops wisely with My Experience With Dirt Cheap ($8) Eyeglasses at The Finance Journey. $8 eyeglasses? Yes, it is possible. Frugal indeed.
- George presents What a Weak Dollar Means for U.S. Shoppers at The Authentic Bartender Blog. Shopping for Americans may have just gotten harder.
- Matthew Paulson wants you to know: Don’t Throw Away Your Analog TV Just Yet posted at Getting Green. You can just convert it!
- Ryan Healy cautions about The Perils of Buying in Bulk at Debt Reduction Formula. Bulk buying is not always the deal it seems – be frugally careful!
- cashmoneylife presents Build a Professional Wardrobe on a Budget posted at Cash Money Life. Do you need to dress well on a dime? Let this expert help you!
- WhatWorksForUs presents Save $$ – Keep Receipts posted at What Works For Us. You never know when a receipt can mean money in your pocket, learn how here!
- Raymond shares tips and tricks with Clothing Shopping For Bargain Hunters Like Me at Money Blue Book. Learn from the master!
- Ryan gives us Map Out Your Financial Future at Care on Credit. Budgeting is one of the keys to living a more frugal lifestyle.
To health and wellness
- Joel tells us that Yes, Politics Can Actually Improve Your Life at Rocket Dollar. A hobby or a volunteer position can keep you healthy and too busy to spend money at the same time!
- Wenchypoo shares I’ve just come back from the fastest dental appointment I ever had… at Wisdom From Wenchypoo’s Mental Wastebasket. You too can save money at the dentist! Learn how. It all happens long before you get to that chair.
To saving money
- Jim presents Frugality Tip: Recycle Halloween Candy at Blueprint for Financial Prosperity. Never buy (much) halloween candy again! As long as you have willing children…
- juicefairy shares 5 Ways to Stop Impulse Buying at Juicefairy. If you don’t buy on impulse you save loads! This is a very important skill.
- FMF presents Save Money by Hang-Drying Your Clothes posted at Free Money Finance. Is it worth it? Find out from the expert himself!
- Kyle James shares 6 Easy Ways To Lower Heating Costs This Winter posted at Rather-Be-Shopping.com Blog. I want to be warmer and Kyle will help me!
- Summer says homeschooling doesn’t have to break the bank and explains how in Another Homeschooling and Money Post posted at Mom Is Teaching.
- Moorea presents Femme Economics: Home Hair Color posted at Queercents. Cost cutting on hair care? It can be done!
- Philby shares his Top Tip: How to Save Money on Your Mortgage at Philby’s Finance. You won’t want to miss it!
- MoneyNing wonders Why Aren’t We Taking Advantage of Free Offers? at Money Ning. Those free samples from Walmart are very frugally fun (for me ).
- Silicon Valley Blogger shares 10 Simple Ways To Save Money And The Environment at The Digerati Life. Save the world. Save a buck. You can too.
- Mrs. Micah talks the coupon code talk in Resuming normal programming: Why Dreamhost was the frugal choice for me at Mrs Micah: Finance and Life. I used a coupon too. I even have a coupon here (just not quite as good ). Frugal computering!
- Matt describes How To Get Insider Pricing at How I Will Be Rich. You don’t have to know someone, you just have to know Matt .
- FIRE Getters saves money on the car with Car Pool, Ride Share, Hitch Hike your way to Fun & Dollars! at FIRE Finance. And you can too! Learn here.
- Amanda presents I like Netflix at Me Vs. Debt. Learn how to go without cable and make the most of your netflix dollars.
- Making Cents teaches about Dining Out on the Cheap at Making Cents of Debt. And you can learn how to as well, just let Making Cents teach you.
And some frugal creations
- Ashley presents Halloween on the Cheap posted at College of Cash. Next Halloween, make a costume! Start now with these tips.
- Summer shares Personalized Quilts – 30 Gifts in 30 Days posted at Creative Mom Cafe. Warm and snuggly. Perfect.
I hope you’ve learned about frugality and how to be frugal from our panel of experts! See you next week!